Saturday, February 13, 2010

Red Sox Fantasy Camp Sat Feb 6

Jeff and I get up and head down to the clubhouse around 11:30. We are told to clean up our lockers so I brought my suitcase to pack it all up. How sad! Kim was in the locker room with me. And we commiserate together. We head on down to the stadium where the pro- rookie game and the world series games will take place. We stop at the picnic area and grab lunch., I luckily ate my PB&J sandwich at the room before we left. I grabbed a banana for later.

The pro-rookie game really wasn't that. The orioles played the red sox rookies and Jen, Bridget and Charlie Ahles filled in with the red sox rookies. The 'vs the pro' was really just hitting against the Pro pitcher. Jim Corsi and Bill Campbell. They played a few innings and made sure everyone got 3 at bats each. They would clear the bases after 3 outs. I actually think the Orioles won. But I'm not sure of the score. Rico was in the 1B stands and slowly kept creeping higher up, until he was gone. I liked it better when the pros hit against the rookies, too. Usually something fun comes from that.

Then we go onto the field. Kim Asked Larry if the visitors can have the 3rd base dugout. I guess the visitors normally take the 1st base side. But Kim pleaded with Larry (' I changed hotels, I changed managers, can you please give me something?' she cried) and Larry gave in. Boz was not aware of these goings-on and was disappointed with the change. He thought it would be better for us to be on the 1st base side. Both teams are announced and we stand for the National Anthem. Afterward, Jerry Moses gave me a hard time for not putting my hand over my heart ('don't be like our president O'bama, this is your country'). So I told him I never put my hand over my heart - it has nothing to do with Obama, but I can still be patriotic - in fact I always sing the national anthem. It more has to do with my not believing in the whole 'God' thing and separation of church and state. I think he understood where I was coming from.

So Lane is pitching for us and Gary Perkins is pitching for them. We start at the top of the order with Basile. We did nothing the first few innings. In the field, Scott Willis started on the bench. I was moved to RC and Marty played LC.Mike Owens started at 2nd and wasn't able not make a play at 1st. That's the first time he played IF all week. Odd. They scored a couple of runs. Then the 2nd inning, Owens went to RF and Willis played 2B and Kim sat. Lyons team played very well in the field. I don't think they made any errors. We had some tough plays, throws to 1B weren't on the money and that hurt. Dan made a great throw to the plate and got a runner out at home. We had runners on 1st and 2nd in the 2nd inning but couldn't score. Marty made a good catch in LC. I had no balls hit to me at all. On the plus side Lyon's team got stuck in a rundown and we got the out at 3rd, so that helped. Top of the 5th Kim got a nice hit in between 1st and 2b and Steve Lyons gave her a big hug and kiss at first base. Owens ran for her. Tony and Al got Owens to 3rd. So with only 1 out, a dribbler was hit to 3b and Boz told the runner to stay, but he didn't and he was out by a good 2 feet at home. That hurt. Charlie Wu hung onto the ball, but if the runner waited until the 3Bman threw the ball to 1B he would've probably scored. It killed a rally. In the middle of the fifth, the women campers get up on the dugout and lead the crowd to 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame'. Usually Kim does this, but since she's playing it was handed off to the women. They also announce a former camper, Vinnie Buonno, who played on my 2000 Championship team. He has some motor skills deficency - almost like a cerebral plasy. But he could sure hit the ball. It was amazing to watch him play. He used to be so skinny and now you can tell that something is not quite right with him. He's so bloated. Jeff Ladue knows his family real well and they are concerned for him. Be well, Vinnie!

Meanwhile, Lyons is drinking shots ever time his team scores. He's getting really wasted. It is now 5-2 top of the 7th and we have to score at least 3 to stay in it. We are trying to make a comeback. We scored once with 2 outs and then Owens was up and hit a dribbler and everyone was safe. Bases loaded score 5-3, 2 out and I'm up. Couple of balls, one almost hit me, a called strike, I fouled one off. Another ball and the last pitch - Ball 4! I walked in Cooksey. Score 5-4 bases loaded 2 outs and now Kim is up. Can she do it again? Ball 1, strike 1, an inside pitch almost hit her for ball 2, then she fouled off a pitch. Next pitch she swung and missed. The whole crowd went 'OOOHHHHH!'. We were all pulling for her. In fact the whole game it seemed we were getting the most cheers. Kim was so disappointed. We all were sad that we lost, but we gave them a run for their money. We rallied around Kim, knowing full well that we had ample opportunities throughout the game and it just didn't happen. It was truly a team loss. Actually it was the other team's win. They played great all game, defensively. Wish we could have pulled it out. I ended up going 0-2 with the BB, 1 RBI. It would've been so amazing to win the whole thing. Guess it wasn't meant to be. Somebody pied Lyons in the face. He got a few people during the week. He gave Kim a kiss and she got some whipped cream on her face. Then the winners got their team picture taken.

So we pack up and I get individual pictures with all my teammates. Normally, I do this at the beginning of the week and print them so I can get their autographs, but missing last year's camp I think I got out of sync. Usually I print off pictures at the Wal-greens each night and put them in an album right away. But we are not next to Wal-greens anymore. Jeff sent some pictures to Wal-Mart which we picked up and we stopped at the Orange juice place. Then back at the hotel, I showered and got ready for the banquet - the last night. I can't believe it's almost over.

We arrange to sit by teams and we got 2 tables.Jeff and I sat with Campbell and his wife Linda, Lane and Mary, Kim, Cooksey, Dana and Kathy. The rest of the team along with Boz and his wife Lou sat at the other table. All except Owens, who arrived late, but we saved him a seat at the table in front of my table closer to the podium. Guess he was trying to arrange his flight, because of the impending storm. Jerry Moses and Gary Bell do another Kangaroo court. Eddie Munoz got the green fly award. Steve Lyons got rescued from the bathroom after getting sick from all the drinking he did earlier. Jim Palmer got fined. Somebody's wife got fined for having a yankees hat on during the week. Joel Weinstein found another 'twin tower' person in one of the rookies, Dennis Damschroeder . They are almost the same height, but Joel is just an inch shorter. Jerry Moses got fined for wearing shower shoes (slides) to the banquet.
Then the camp awards are announced.
Charlie Hustle went to Don Amirilian.
Rookie of the year went to Rocco Cammarata.
Gold Glove under 50 went to Paul Lipari ( I was nominated for this)
Gold Glove over 50 went to Dale Clarke.
CY Young under 50 went to Mark Heffner.
Cy Young over 50 went to Gary Perkins.
MVP under 50 went to Tim Ryan.
MVP Over 50 went to Kevin Marden.
Then the runners up were announced - us!
Then the championship team was announced.
Then Allenson, Azcue, Moses and Sullivan announced how much trainer's stuff we went through during the course of the week. Amazing! And I didn't see them once! The trainers award went to the whole Orioles team! They brought out this trophy that was a mix of all the trainers stuff, including a blown up rubber glove.
The good guy award went to Dale Clarke. (Tribute to Mike Gonsalves ac amper who died in the RI club fire)
And that wrapped it up. Usually we hear that nice song about the red sox but not this year. Then the goodbyes begin. I stay up pretty late talking with everyone and making the rounds. I'm sure I'll see some people in the AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment