Saturday, February 13, 2010

Red Sox Fantasy Camp Mon Feb 1

Jeff and I get up and I make some oatmeal in the room and then we head to the clubhouse. It's raining! What a bummer! I don't know what we will do. It's announced that we will do batting in the cages til 11:00 then eat lunch and then have a Q&A session with the pros. I hit with Campbell and I work on my new swing and it seems to be working. Jeff photos me and even he says I look better. After lunch we do the Q&A and we talk about the old times and the steroid issue comes up. Then we set up Joe Azcue - someone asked him a question and while he started to answer we all got up and left. He was surprised, but then we showed him the sign that told everyone to get up and leave and he laughed. A lot of sophomoric pranks go on all week. Especially the kangaroo court - where people get fined for doing/saying dumb things. It all goes to charity - the Red Sox foundation. We did the 3 man lift and yes Eddie Munoz was the chosen one. Dana Rickard and Kevin Marden were the anchors. People place 'bets' on wether the woman (this year was Bridget's turn) can lift 3 guys tied together with locker room towels. Sounds absurd? Well it's a hoax! As we yell 'One, Two, Three!' the woman pretends to lift, she's pulled away by Allenson and the anchors try to get out of the way while several campers absolutely pummel the chosen one with all kinds of food and drink related items. Bisquik, beer, water, whipped cream, I heard even kitty litter was thrown this year. I saw tomato soup, too. Eddie was a great sport. Totally laughed it off. Some guys in the past, usually the ones with the big ego, get mad. I wish they would stick with whipped cream and more clear liquids - tomato soup? One year someone used Pepto Bismol. And Maple syrup - What a mess! It did stop raining, but another storm was coming so it was a good call not to play.

We get back to the hotel around 1:30. I met Kim, Lane and Al for more cribbage. No nap today at the hotel because at 2:00-3:00 was a fire alarm test! How annoying, but we made the best of it. I popped some popcorn, brought down my beer, Jeff brought some wine and we had fun! Jeff had to leave at 4:30 to pick up his mom and aunt at the airport. They are staying at Marco island - renting a condo for the month (his dad will be joining them later in the week). Jeff's sister's in-laws have been snow birds there forever so they will all be staying in the same area. As for the cribbage game, it was kim and me vs al and lane and we won 5-4. It was back and forth all day.

I did a quick change of clothes before dinner. They decided to do the team dinner tonight because of the cigar party tomorrow, people wouldn't have to rush back for it. We went to the Outback. Al drove me. I forgot the camera! Everyone came including Marty's wife EB, and Boz's wife Lou and Tony's GF Diane. Joe Brill came too. He's a former camper who couldn't make it all week so he came for a few days to watch and hang out. Kim wanted us to stand up in the restaurant and sing God Bless America. I didn't feel comfortable doing that. Just didn't seem appropriate. But a few people started singing it softly while seated so I joined in. It wasn't as attention getting as I thought it would be. After dinner Al and I went to Rita's and he tried the custard for the first time. Conclusion - he likes ice cream better. next time we'll go to Kilwins. Back at the hotel, I went to bed. We will try to get in 2 games tomorrow- it's supposed to rain again. Golf is canceled for Wed so we can make up one game then, The other will be made up on Fri and the pro-rookie game will be moved to Sat in between the consolation game and the world series.

No comments:

Post a Comment